With new horse auctions popping up seemingly almost daily, we get asked often for advice on whether it’s safe and legitimate. We put together this short guide and list of tips to help protect you and enable you to make a more informed decision.
1) VET THE HORSE AHEAD OF TIME- Most of the auctions are very clear about the lack of any substantial guarantees. They basically will only guarantee that a horse will have vision in both eyes, will not crib, and will be sound for 24-72 hours depending on the auction. This can be costly, especially if you’re looking at more than horse not knowing if you will be the ultimate buyer, but it’s a lot better than spending $20-200,000 on a lame horse. If x-rays are provided, make sure they have the horses registered name on them. While most vets are honest, it doesn’t prevent an unscrupulous seller from using a barn name and switching the x-rays with another horse.
2) ATTEND THE SALE IN PERSON- You are much more likely to know if a horse is legitimately being represented honestly and the seller is someone you can trust if you talk to them personally. Since you have very little recourse after you get the horse do your homework! Avoid buying if the only option is online or over the phone unless you know and trust the seller and the sale manager personally. Many of these new auctions are being set up by individuals just as a way to market their own horses.
3) SET YOUR BUDGET AHEAD OF TIME- One of the reasons you’re seeing these prices go from $100-200,000 for horses at auctions this past year is because they are counting on people getting caught up in the excitement and wanting to win! Know how much you’re willing to spend ahead of time, be disciplined and don’t go over your max even if it’s only $1,000. Do not EVER tell anyone associated with the auction or the seller what you’re willing to pay. They have other people bidding that will run the price up to that amount. Many of the sellers will set up dummy accounts to bid on their own horses.
4) WATCH YOU’RE SURROUNDINGS- While you’re at the auction even before your horse comes in watch the auctioneer, the ring staff, and frequent bidders. There’s an alarming trend going on in the industry with more and more auctioneers and ring men trying to manipulate prices. Don’t EVER bid while the price is going up seemingly thousands of dollars every second, this a technique auctioneers are using to get the starting bids up higher in hopes that a real bidder might accidentally jump in when they get the price up. Most times they’re not even looking for actual bidders while they’re making their runs. If you notice several times that the auctioneer gets to the end of the bidding on a horse only to have to roll back the price and say something like “I thought we had Joe in at x price, lets start the bidding again at”. If it happens once or twice it could be an honest mistake, if it happens over and over it’s a dishonest ring staff and you should either gather your things and leave or make sure you follow tip number 2! If it does happen say something to the sale manager. The only way things will change is if people speak up!
5) AFTER THE PURCHASE- If you do purchase a horse at an auction be sure to have your vet examine him once he arrives home. Not necessarily from a lameness perspective, because there’s not much you can do about it at that point, but more for wellness to protect your other horses. It’s not uncommon for horses to pick up things when they’re around new horses and traveling on trailers. We run SAA tests on every horse that comes on our property so that we can stay ahead of any sickness and give preventative medications. Most things are very manageable if you stay on top of it with good protocols.
There are a few reputable horse auctions out there that have been in business for decades, but there are always going to be those bad apples out there that leave a bad taste for people about the whole horse industry. That’s why we’re trying to do our part to help educate people.
Thank you Lisa for the beautiful pictures and update on Leo!! H's one special guy!!
Just wanted to give you a quick update on my boy!! He is doing great, and is such a sweet boy!! I took him to Maryland last weekend for an obstacle course play day! They also do competitions, but since is was our first time I just wanted to check it out, and see how he would do. He was a ‘Rock Star!” He did so good, and I can't tell you how many people commented on him both for his looks, and how well he did for a first time on the course. I don't think it would be possible for me to be happier with him!! I believe is is safe to say that he is “The Horse of my Dreams”! 😊 I have attached a few pictures from last weekend for you.
Charles is an amazing finished reiner and an NRHA money earner out of some of the best bloodlines you can get! He is an own son of Colonels Smart Spook by the great Smart Spook out of an NRHA money earning daughter of Gunner. He has a smooth and steady lope, a great working walk and trot, an easy and uncomplicated handle, and a big stop. He rides outside as well as effortlessly in the arena. He's been shown extensively in ranch riding and is a natural at it. We exposed him to our program and he soared through all the obstacles we challenged him with. These included tarps, the water, riding double, tricks, walk-trot-and loping with the flag, the big ball, trails, dogs, turkeys, drone, and atv. Whether you just want a fancy recreational trail horse or you're ready to hit the show pen, Charles can handle it all. He's special and the complete package...looks, pedigree, and disposition! Don't miss this opportunity to own an amazing gelding. He's available and ready to come home to you immediately! Shipping is included anywhere in the continental US, something you won't find at an auction. He sells 100% sound with x-rays. For more information call Alisha at (501)240-4889. #HOMD#Horseofmydreams#yellowstone#palomino#horsesale#horseauction#horses#buckskin#cowboys#cowgirls#Bot#Premier#Reno#lasvegas#integrity#ranchhorse#reiner#reining#California#gelding#trailriding#ropehorse#ranch... See MoreSee Less
Tired of waiting to buy a horse at a public auction?
Don't know if it's even a real person bidding against you?🤔
Afraid to get stuck with an expensive mistake?😲
Integrity matters and you DON'T have to wait any longer! We always have the largest private selection of quality horses in the country including reiners, cow horses, ranch and trail horses. We always have buckskin, palominos, greys, and paints on hand by top sires like Spooks Gotta Whiz, HF Mobster, Not Ruff At All, Walla Walla Whiz and more! We specialize in horses with gentle dispositions geared more towards families, business men and women looking to stay safe. With over 15 years of matching families and riders with the right horses you can buy with confidence knowing you have our 30 day guarantee and the option of exchanging the horse if it's not the perfect fit! We deal exclusively and directly with our customers. Our horses become a part of our family while they're with us so we like to personally know and approve of where they're going. We're here to help and make sure you have all the support you need once your new horse arrives!
Look no further if you are wanting that "once in a lifetime" kind of gelding! Little Star will definitely check all the boxes! He's a golden palomino and an own son of leading sire, Arc Gunnabeabigstar! This gorgeous gelding is as pretty as a picture, conformationally balanced and correct. His soft, kind eye will steal your heart and his sweet and loving personality is second to none. He is extremely versatile and well rounded. Little Star was shown in the futurity events and did great! Such a talented and proven gelding that does it all! He does all reining maneuvers easily, with effortless lead changes, correct spins and deep sliding stops. He guides easily and is very simple to pilot. He will really shine in the Ranch Riding & Versatility events too. Little Star is safe and sane for any level of rider. He is very smooth and comfortable to ride with a naturally low head set. He remains extremely gentle even with time off. He is one that you can saddle up and go enjoy without hesitation. There is no silly stuff to him and he remains the same every ride. Little Star will meet you at the gate and is always easy and eager to come in the barn. He is a very willing partner that aims to please. Little Star is a phenomenal gelding with all the bells and whistles! Don't miss this opportunity to own an amazing gelding. He's available and ready to come home to you immediately! Shipping is included anywhere in the continental US, something you won't find at an auction. He also sells 100% sound with x-rays and a vet exam. For more information call Alisha at (501)240-4889. #HOMD #HorseOfMyDreams #yellowstone #Palomino #horsesale #horseauction#horses#buckskin#cowboys#cowgirls #bot #premier #reno #lasvegas#integrity#ranchhorse #reiner#reining #california #gelding#trailriding#ropehorse#ranch... See MoreSee Less
Any grandma broke broke horses. Like 14 3 and solid trail horse.
Do you have any mares that trail ride quiet and safe. Palomino or color horse preferred but would take a beautiful sorrel
Pm me info on price… very interested in him
Any overo paints?
Pm price please
Why are prices never listed? I just want to know what horses are going for and what kind of horse I can afford. But I have no idea since I never know how much any of these horses are.
65K for a horse 😭 WTH has happened!?
Do you work with any gaited breeds such as the Missouri Fox Trotter?
I know what you mean!!! I don’t trust anyone. Especially since everyone is asking a ton more for horses saying it’s because of COVID
My horse wrap him up send him to California
Here's my baby
The price includes shipping, a pre vet check, and X-rays?
That’s awesome! It seems every horse I see recently is for sale through auction 😞
Price and location please
I contacted you guys from website but you didn’t write back! Do you only do QH?
It’s absolutely insane and ridiculous how much horses are being sold for these days. In the middle of a pandemic with so many out of work. This just encourages folks to indiscriminately backyard breed because most people can’t afford or spend $65,000 on a horse. I remember, not too long ago, you could get a great trail horse for $2,500! Show horse for $10,000! Insanity. Whatever happened to reasonable?
Palomino is my favorite
Most of them have people bidding just to raise the price.
Where are you located!! I love this horse!!!
I love this horse it is like the one I rode for years growing up yeah